Classic Response No. 1 to Your Engagement Announcement: "you picked the blackest day..."

What would you say if you went to tell your future mother-in-law (MIL) that you and her son had decided to get engaged and this is what she said:

"Why, that's nice, but you picked the blackest day..."

Hmm...

Nothing. What can you say? Sticks and stones. Sticks and stones, my grandfather used to say.

Just grin and bear it. it's probably her sentiment (overwhelming her) over losing out to another girl (and chikas can be right bitches to one another some times, a fact that is really very, very sad indeed for the world at large!). That's how I resolved the episode of  "tell the FMIL today that we're planning a wedding".  I'm sure there'll be other times, other unguarded moments between us in future that will be just as (ouch!), just as awkward, just as "WTF?".

Sure some MIL's (like some other people in your life) are, quite simply, something else. Then you'd need to get the heck out or jump ship. But the majority of mother-in-laws are just regular women with their own emotional baggage, regular women no different from the women in their sons and daughters' lives. Except for the sex.

Here is my mother-in-law mantra:

She is doing her absolute best to get along with me and with other people in spite of her prejudices and limitations, just as I am trying to do.

She is doing her absolute best to live her life the way it turned out in spite of fallen dreams and ongoing concern for her loved-ones, just as I am trying to do.

She is human, faulty at best and fragile always, vulnerable to all elements, just as I am, a woman just like me. Underneath it all, we share the simplest, most universal hope: that life will be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment